Sunday, April 4, 2010

3 April 2010

Holy crap it's April already.

So far it's been: eat, work, sleep...repeat.

I'm not gaining as quickly as I'd like but at least I'm getting bigger.

My belly is tight all the time (not just when I've had a big meal) and I notice it most when I take a deep breath. I'm definitely getting out of shape because stuff I was able to do before with no problem now leaves me winded. I'm trying to get more exercise but am having trouble finding the time to keep up with it. So I'm going to focus at least a little bit on getting more exercise. Should be easier now that spring's here.

That being said, my efforts are paying off. Saw myself in a full length mirror today - my belly is definitely becoming my defining feature. It's one thing to feel how my t-shirt stretches across my middle and a completely other thing to actually see that same phenomenon in the mirror.

2 comments:

  1. I was in the same boat as you, felt myself getting a little too much out of shape. Recently I've gotten some exercise, mostly in the form of walking, and that's definitely helped. What good is being fatter if you don't have the energy to enjoy it?

    I hadn't really been keeping up with your blog but did go back through some of the earlier entries. I'm amused that you kept a fairly sophisticated spreadsheet, because I've done that myself off and on over the years. It's pretty interesting and fun to do that, and you can get some great feedback. For a while, I kept detailed body measurements and was able to see how proportions changed over time. Life is too full now to keep up with that sort of thing, but maintaining an "excess calorie" vs. weight log isn't tough to do.

    What prompted me to mention this (other than amusement) is something that I've learned recently. If you used a formula in your spreadsheets, as I have, equating an extra 3500 calories with an expected gain of a pound, that's based on misleading assumptions. It assumes that all of your calories come from fat, for one thing. What I have heard is that 10,000 calories is a realistic value to use for this purpose. That might explain why you don't gain as much as you think you should.

    Not having saved enough data to go back and check this, it does nonetheless seem consistent with my experience over the years. There have been times when I've put on roughly a pound for each 3500-4000 calories, but now that I think about it, during those times a large proportion of the extra calories were indeed in the form of fat.

    It might be worth tracking and seeing how well that 10,000 figure works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we have a picture of this beautiful belly?

    ReplyDelete

Comments moderation is ON. Please be patient as it may take some time for your comment to appear. I really appreciate any and all encouragement. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them!